As part of the provincial mental health services continuum, BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services provides a diverse range of specialized, "one-of-a-kind" tertiary level mental health services to residents across all geographic areas in BC. These include Adult Forensic Psychiatric Services located at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital plus six regional clinics. BC Mental Health & Addiction Services acts as a support and resource to service providers across the province, and contributes to research and education.
BC Mental Health & Addiction Services is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), which plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC.The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
Registered Nurse/Registered Psychiatric Nurse - Women’s Substance Use Program
Requisition # 63981
Temporary Full Time until June 2018
Wage: $32.94 to $43.24 per hour
The Heartwood Centre for Women
4480 Oak Street
The Heartwood Centre for Women is a voluntary 90-day residential treatment program where staff and residents work together to create a wholesome, therapeutic environment. Heartwood provides trauma-informed treatment for substance dependency and other concurrent disorders, including trauma.
The General Duty Nurse provides and coordinates nursing care services such as patient assessment, patient and family teaching, and health promotion activities for female clients with substance dependence, concurrent disorder and chronic disease and their families, consistent with established policies, standards of practice and philosophy at British Columbia’s Children & Women’s Hospital and BC Mental Health & Addictions Services as well as with established protocols.
Education, Training and Experience
- Current practicing registration with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC) or the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of British Columbia (CRPNBC).
- Graduation from a recognized diploma program in Nursing or Psychiatric Nursing.
- One (1) year of recent, related nursing experience in substance use and mental health care setting, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. This job requires that the incumbent be female.
- CPR Training – Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) – Level 1.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment of substance dependence, behavioural, social emotional and mental health/psychiatric problems in women.
- Knowledge of developmental theory.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to relate effectively to women with substance dependence and their families.
- Demonstrated ability to participate as a member of an interdisciplinary care team, work independently, and function as a nursing resource.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve, and deal with conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize work.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and provide effective consultation.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related Equipment.
We invite you to apply by visiting our website and clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at internaljobs.phsa.ca. Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of 12 November 2017. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
External applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on all the nursing careers that PHSA has to offer, please visit: www.phsa.ca/careers/nursing
For more information on the agency that you are interested in, please visit: www.bcmhsus.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities