The BC Cancer Agency is committed to reducing the incidence of cancer, reducing the mortality from cancer, and improving the quality of life of those living with cancer. BC Cancer Agency provides a comprehensive cancer control program for the people of British Columbia in partnership with regional health authorities to deliver a range of cancer services, which include prevention, screening and early detection, diagnosis and treatment, research, education, supportive care, rehabilitation and palliative care. It operates six regional cancer centres in Surrey, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria, Abbotsford and Prince George, along with two research centres that conduct research into the causes and cures for cancer.
BCCA is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
BC Cancer Agency
Pay Rate: $22.23/hr
Temporary Full time (1.00 FTE)
Start Date: November 30, 2017
End Date: August 10, 2018
Prince George, BC
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. Performs a variety of clerical duties related to the operation of the clinic, such as booking and coordinating appointments, diagnostic tests and procedures, processing doctor’s orders, preparing requisitions and reception/switchboard duties.
1. Transcribes and processes doctors’ orders by completing and forwarding requisitions for tests or services, such as CT scans and other diagnostic services, using the multi-resource scheduling system to book tests or services with the appropriate departments/processes; re-books if absence of doctor requires this, and books return appointments of all kinds including chemotherapy and radiation treatments, booking and recording appointments of various types and related data into the computerized system, and distributing appointment lists and completing and forwarding documentation according to procedure.
2. Gathers patient information for clinic appointments to assist in facilitating an efficient patient flow through clinical areas by requesting and receiving charts from Patient Information Management and other locations, requesting x-rays, CDs, photographs and various reports using the computerized system and from various health care facilities, requesting reports, slides, CDs and films or electronic information from outside doctors, hospitals and clinics, preparing and printing documents for physicians, nurses or other team members forms such as Pre Printed Orders or Patient Information handouts, pre-booking chemotherapy/ radiation appointments and booking chemo and radiation appointments according to protocols, and moving charts to and from clinics in preparation for the start and finish of clinics.
3. Performs a variety of receptionist duties such as liaising between patients, the general public and other staff as appropriate, directing patients/families, visitors and staff to the appropriate areas, answering the telephone/switchboard and responding in person by triage inquiries, relaying verbal and written messages.
4. Maintains and updates patient master file by performing duties such as recording booking information according to current status of the patient.
5. Organizes diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients including radiation therapy procedures, chemotherapy treatments and therapeutic services such as thyroid oblation by co-ordinating numerous interrelated appointments. In addition, prepares and communicates related instructions to patients in person or by telephone or by mail.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
Grade 12, medical terminology and graduation from a recognized Nursing Unit Clerk Program plus one (1) year’s recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to keyboard 40 w.p.m.
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment.
• Ability to utilize a variety of computer software applications.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
***Employees of PHSA must apply via the "Internal Application Process". Current PHSA staff who applies to this posting using this external site will be considered with other external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Please visit internaljobs.phsa.ca to register your internal profile and apply online for internal jobs. If you require a temporary password outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk email@example.com
Internal competition closes November 29, 2017. Internal applications received after this date will be considered as late applications.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.