The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
Strategic Change and Improvement
Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director
Regular Full-time (1.00 FTE)
Start Date: December 11, 2017
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of PHSA safety, including both patient and employee safety, is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA’s Agencies/Divisions/Services, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director / Corporate Director / Director provides confidential administrative and secretarial support to designated Director and manages the day-to-day administrative operations to ensure accurate and timely delivery of administrative services. Coordinates the flow of information, communicates internally and externally to respond to inquiries and clarify details, coordinates appointments and meetings, prepares and processes documents and information, assists in budget development and monitors expenditures, arranges travel and accommodation, provides project support, submits HR and Finance information, and maintains office equipment and supplies.
The Administrative Assistant interacts with senior leaders, managers/directors and administrative support staff across the organization to convey information and professionally represent the interests of the department/senior leader utilizing strong persuasion and communication abilities and the exchange of information. The Administrative Assistant determines courses of action from established alternatives to make decisions that will have a positive impact in the program/service and exercises initiative, judgment and problem-solving skills to complete confidential, time-sensitive work. Judgments affect the accuracy and acceptability of further processes or services in the organization.
• Maintains a coordinated and up-to-date calendar for the designated Director’s appointment schedule by determining urgency and nature of requests, scheduling and making necessary arrangements, and resolving time conflicts. Coordinates appropriate travel and accommodation arrangements for designated Leader’s attendance at conferences and meetings, confirms reservations, and establishes an itinerary.
• Responds to verbal and written communication by screening requests and inquiries, making a determination on the importance/urgency of the request, providing a response and/or forwarding to the Executive Director / Corporate Director / Director or other senior staff for reply. Liaises with external organizations on behalf of the designated Director to respond to and/or share information and ensure follow-up by relevant personnel on emergent issues.
• Produces timely, accurate and well formatted documents using various word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software packages, including creation of tables, spreadsheets, presentations and reports. Enters and collects data, and compiles relevant statistical information and reports. Drafts agendas, gathers background materials, attends and records proceedings, prepares and distributes minutes, and takes follow-up actions. Maintains a bring-forward system.
• Assists in budget development and monitors expenditures, authorizes expense reimbursements and invoices up to a pre-determined limit, and develops an expenditure tracking system for those expenditure invoices qualifying for reimbursements from various third parties. Completes purchase requisitions/online purchasing and forwards for processing, and ensures invoices are authorized for payment and submitted for payment.
• Completes and submits eForms for designated Director; processes timekeeping for assigned staff; and liaises with Finance, Payroll and Human Resources as necessary.
• Provides project support, researches information, tracks statistical data, and compiles and analyzes data involving new projects, and the interpretation and application of policies and procedures.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent graduation from a recognized post-secondary administrative assistant/secretarial program, additional course work in advanced word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications, plus four (4) years’ recent related experience, including two (2) years at a senior level.
Ability to work independently and resolve administrative issues/problems. Demonstrated ability to use related equipment including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software at an advanced level. Demonstrated flexibility to meet and adapt to changes in organizational priorities. Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload and work under time pressures to meet deadlines. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including the ability to respond politely and diplomatically to both internal and external inquiries. Demonstrated interpersonal skills to provide effective administrative support at the senior management level. Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and direction to others.
Demonstrated ability to demonstrate tact and discretion in preparing, disclosing and handling information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature. Demonstrated time management skills to assist others in meeting deadlines. Demonstrated ability to record and transcribe minutes of meetings. Ability to type 60 words per minute.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
***Employees of PHSA must apply via the "Internal Application Process" . Current PHSA staff who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered with other external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Please visit internaljobs.phsa.ca to register your internal profile and apply online for internal jobs. If you require a temporary password outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal competition closes November 29, 2017. Internal applications received after this date will be considered as late applications.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.