BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is the only facility in British Columbia devoted primarily to the health of women, newborns and families. It provides a broad range of specialized women’s health services that address the health needs of women of all ages and backgrounds. BC Women’s is one of the largest maternity facilities in Canada, with over 7,000 births a year, and is both the major primary and secondary maternity services provider in the Lower Mainland and the cornerstone of the provincial tertiary care system. As an academic health centre BCW’s mandate includes providing strong leadership in research and the education and professional development of health care professionals in areas related to the health of the populations we serve.
BCW and BCCH are agencies of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
Children's & Women's Health Centre
Operating Room Booking
OR Booking/Slating Clerk
Casual (0.01 FTE)
Pay Rate: $23.10/hr
Start Date: November 25, 2017
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority, patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. In accordance with established policies, standards and procedures, the OR Booking/Slating clerk works in a team based environment and plays a significant role in ensuring that the overall surgical booking and slating requirements are met. As per established procedure protocols, uses computerized systems to schedule and assign the daily procedural bookings by performing duties such as identifying available booking options, preparing and editing preliminary Operating Room slate, completing and distributing final slate to designated areas, as well as compiling, maintaining and distributing designated operative statistical information and surgical waitlists, ordering office supplies, typing and filing correspondence.
Examples of Duties/Accountabilities:
1. Receives/processes requests for surgical procedures and coordinates with the physicians and their offices in the scheduling of cases according to outlined procedures and standards by performing duties such as receiving booking requests from physicians, reviewing booking package for completeness, checking pre-admission forms for accuracy of information such as patient demographics, length and type of procedure, following up on missing information, and entering pertinent data into the computerized patient information and operating room scheduling systems to initiate patient waitlists.
2. Prepares Operating Room Slate using a computerized operating room scheduling system by performing duties such as compiling booking and scheduling information, identifying available booking options, assigning surgical cases according to allocated operating room time and anaesthetic care unit (ACU) bed availability, entering patient data, printing, and distributing booking information to designated areas.
3. Edits slate by identifying errors or conflicts such as procedure coding, equipment availability or length of case, assigning extra cases to the slate in accordance with cancellations or unused operating room time. Confirms final booking assignments (i.e. slate) with designated surgical leadership and forwards bookings to Operating Room for coding and equipment check to ensure procedure codes and case care configurations are correct. Prints and distributes copy of final approved slate to various hospital locations and physicians’ offices as appropriate.
4. Ensures equipment requirements such as microscopes, lasers and instruments are available and those procedures that require the same equipment are scheduled consecutively to ensure efficient use of equipment. Notifies Radiology of x-ray requirements.
5. Communicates and collaborates with personnel such as operating room staff, ACU staff, slating anaesthetists, physician's offices as required to determine operating room assignments, optimize utilization of operating room time, confirm booked procedures, identify any discrepancies/changes and facilitate daily slate revisions. Communicates and confirms scheduled procedure times with patients in accordance with established procedures to ensure optimum booking time is used and patients’ appointments are scheduled in a manner that meets their needs.
6. Maintains filing system for all surgical procedure booking requisitions by creating files, making labels and indexing as appropriate, establishing bring forward systems as well as filing and purging material according to established procedures.
7. Compiles, maintains and distributes designated operating room usage statistical data by methods such as gathering information, inputting statistical data into computer such as operative information, performing arithmetic calculations such as adding and multiplying, and generating reports and audits using computerized information systems and advanced word-processing and spreadsheet software. Forwards statistical data to designated personnel in accordance with established procedures.
Education, Training and Experience
• Grade 12 and three years’ recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to keyboard 45 w.p.m.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at: www.bcchildrens.ca or www.bcwomens.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.