The BC Cancer Agency (BCCA) is committed to reducing the incidence of cancer, reducing the mortality from cancer, and improving the quality of life of those living with cancer. BC Cancer Agency provides a comprehensive cancer control program for the people of British Columbia in partnership with regional health authorities to deliver a range of cancer services, which include prevention, screening and early detection, diagnosis and treatment, research, education, supportive care, rehabilitation and palliative care. It operates six regional cancer centres in Surrey, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria, Abbotsford and Prince George, along with two research centres that conduct research into the causes and cures for cancer.
BCCA is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Radiation Therapy Service Technologist
Regular Full Time
Prince George, BC
The Radiation Therapy Service Technologist performs a variety of duties related to the maintenance, repair, troubleshooting and testing on a variety of radiation therapy and radiation safety equipment, including their operating systems, to ensure the accuracy of machines and minimize machine downtime. The Radiation Therapy Service Technologist participates in the training and assessment of RTST Trainees and compiles education material from a variety of sources for use by all RTSTs as required.
Education, Training and Experience
- Diploma from a recognized training program in Biomedical Engineering or Electronics Technology.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience servicing radiation therapy equipment including completion of manufacturers' training for radiation therapy equipment OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Agency.
- Successful completion of manufacturer’s training courses with at least one course successfully completed at the advanced level.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of Radiation Therapy equipment advanced level theory.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others including RTSTs and manufacturer service engineers.
- Demonstrated proficiency in operating the full range of Radiation Therapy equipment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in diagnosing, repairing and performing preventative maintenance on the full range of Radiation Therapy equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently during treatment day in the absence of other RTSTs.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize personal limitations and only perform tasks that are within their abilities and experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the operation of dual energy linear accelerators and all components, CT simulators and all components.
- Demonstrated knowledge of safety issues associated with high voltage and ionising radiation.
- Demonstrated expertise with networked computer systems at the hardware level as well as with all related software, including embedded or proprietary systems.
- Ability to interface different clinical devices to the computer networks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of physics as they are applied to radiation therapy equipment.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of methods of radiation production and radiation measurement.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions under pressure.
- Ability to demonstrate techniques to co-workers and students.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Leadership skills.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at internaljobs.phsa.ca. Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of November 16, 2017. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the BC Cancer Agency, please visit the website at: www.bccancer.bc.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.