As part of the provincial mental health services continuum, BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services provides a diverse range of specialized, "one-of-a-kind" tertiary level mental health services to residents across all geographic areas in BC. These include Adult Forensic Psychiatric Services located at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital plus six regional clinics. In addition to direct services, BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services acts as a support and resource to service providers across the province, and contributes to research and education.
BC Mental Health & Mental Health Substance Use Services is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), which plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Temporary Full -Time (Until December 2018 or until return of incumbent)
Wage: $42.05 to $52.44 per hour
Burnaby Centre for Mental Health and Addiction
The Psychologist is in charge of psychological services provided to a section of the facility/program for the designated scope of practice area. Working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team, completes psychological assessments, provides psychological treatment, evaluates the effectiveness and appropriateness of treatment and facilitates education of clients. Maintains client records including the documentation of client diagnosis and most effective form of treatment and prepares progress notes and psychological reports. Liaises with external agencies and establishes and maintains effective working relationships with stakeholders. Attends clinical/case conferences. Provides formal and informal consultations, participates in quality improvement and risk management activities, provides clinical teaching and supervision to Residents and students and conducts and participates in research.
Education, Training and Experience
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from a recognized university.
- Two (2) years recent related experience in therapeutic, diagnostic and consultation services in the designated scope of practice areas of mental health & addiction services such as experience working with individuals with mental health issues, substance misuse, anxiety and mood disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Current registration with the College of Psychologists of British Columbia.
Example of Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of recovery in mental illness.
- Knowledge of psychological assessment, including semi-structured diagnostic assessment.
- Knowledge of therapeutic, diagnostic and consultation techniques.
- Knowledge of treatment, assessment and management of anxiety disorders, post traumatic stress disorder and psychological trauma.
- Knowledge of Psychosocial Rehabilitation methodology.
- Knowledge of psychopharmacology (indications and side-effects) and substance abuse and addictions issues and treatment
- Knowledge of adult education principles, methods and tools.
- Knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Knowledge of evidence-based psychological practice.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the “Apply Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at www.bcmhsus.ca
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.