The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Casual on-call Opportunities
$21.64 per hour
If you strive to work in a busy and fast-paced environment then this job is for you! We are currently seeking casual Switchboard Operators to provide vacation relief at various hospitals in the Vancouver area.
As the Switchboard Operator you are the first point of contact and the voice our callers first hear. Your key responsibilities are:
- Operating a multi-line computerized hospital switchboard console, public address, and paging system.
- Accepting and directing a variety of calls according to established policies, standards and procedures for multiple healthcare facilities - playing a significant role in providing a positive experience to all callers.
- Responding to various hospital alarms (including patient related code alarms) and carry out established emergency procedures.
- Performing routine updates to the switchboard directory and on call scheduling databases with established department guidelines utilizing database, word-process, and spreadsheet software.
- Requesting repairs on consoles, paging and related equipment according to established guidelines by methods such as contacting the Service Desk and/or their Team Lead.
- Participating in continuous quality improvement activities by performing duties such as attending meetings and providing input/feedback to the Manager, Switchboard Services, or designate, on opportunities for process improvement.
- Identifying and reporting to the Manager, Switchboard Services, or designate, unusual trends or system conditions which require investigation such as an increase of unusual phone calls or error messages on the monitors.
You will hold a grade 12 diploma and have one (1) year recent related experience. You are an excellent communicator with superior problem solving and analytical thinking abilities you possess demonstrated computer skills including a typing speed of 45 words per minute and can deal effectively and efficiently with other staff, patients, and the general public.
As the hospitals operation 24/7, successful candidates will need to be available to work on-call days, evenings or nights as per rotating schedule.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the “Apply Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.