The BC Cancer Agency (BCCA) is committed to reducing the incidence of cancer, reducing the mortality from cancer, and improving the quality of life of those living with cancer. BC Cancer Agency provides a comprehensive cancer control program for the people of British Columbia in partnership with regional health authorities to deliver a range of cancer services, which include prevention, screening and early detection, diagnosis and treatment, research, education, supportive care, rehabilitation and palliative care. It operates six regional cancer centres in Surrey, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria, Abbotsford and Prince George, along with two research centres that conduct research into the causes and cures for cancer.
BCCA is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Certified Dental Assistant
Regular Part Time 0.50 FTE
Wage: $23.10 per hour
The Certified Dental Assistant participates in the management of patients with medical compromise: performs chair-side duties and as required clerical duties – pre and post appointment and follow-up, using computerized equipment.
Example of Duties and Accountabilities
- Performs all the chair-side duties of a dental assistant and maintains infection control. Makes impressions to fabricate gel carriers; constructs and fits custom gel carriers and instructs patients on how to use. Fabricates bite blocks and gingival protectors in preparation for radiotherapy procedures. Provides home care instruction to patients. Performs such other duties from time to time as permitted by the legislation of the College of Dental Surgeons of B.C. for a certified dental assistant.
- Participates in management of patients with medical compromise and with possible exposure to medical risk. Assists the Dentist with screening of patients and assessment of dental needs to set priorities for dental visits.
- Applies topical chemotherapy to oral lesions.
- Assists in creating patient information pamphlets as directed and follows the appropriate policies to have them approved for patient use.
- Communicates with medical and dental staff in the Centre and the Dental Consultant and in the community as necessary to facilitate the adjustment of appointment schedules, while ensuring that patient care is not jeapordized.
Education, Training and Experience
- Graduation from a recognized Certified Dental Assistant program plus one year’s related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current registration with the College of Dental Surgeons of B.C.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of November 1, 2017. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the BC Cancer Agency, please visit the website at: www.bccancer.bc.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.