BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is the only facility in British Columbia devoted primarily to the health of women, newborns and families. It provides a broad range of specialized women’s health services that address the health needs of women of all ages and backgrounds. BC Women’s is one of the largest maternity facilities in Canada, with over 7,000 births a year, and is both the major primary and secondary maternity services provider in the Lower Mainland and the cornerstone of the provincial tertiary care system. As an academic health centre BCW’s mandate includes providing strong leadership in research and the education and professional development of health care professionals in areas related to the health of the populations we serve.
BCW is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: • Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Formula and Milk Handling Technician
Wage: $25.91 per hour
BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre
4500 Oak Street
Under the supervision of the Coordinator, Formula Room and Milk Handling Room, the technician handles, labels, stores, prepares, and distributes human milk to inpatients in the BC Women’s Hospital NICU using safe food handling techniques and established safe milk management procedures. The technician also prepares human milk, and infant, enteral and metabolic formula to match the Nutrition Orders as required. All feeds are prepared according to the Guidelines for the Preparation of Human Milk and Formula in Health Care Facilities.
Example of Duties/Accountabilities
- Maintains strict adherence to aseptic procedures, Food Safe guidelines, and safety practices and procedures related to the handling of human milk, and the handling and preparation of infant, enteral and metabolic formula, including following the Guidelines for the Preparation of Human Milk and Formula in Health Care Facilities.
- Prepares all infant and enteral formula and human milk feeds, with or without added nutrition products by preparing and portioning into aliquots for feeding by nurses at the patient bedside as per the Nutrition Order and in accordance with established guidelines, policies, procedures and standards.
- Collects human milk from NICU for labelling, storage and preparation with added nutrition products. Delivers human milk and formula to clinical areas as appropriate according to established safety standards; rotates and/or removes expired products.
- Receives and reviews new and existing Nutrition Orders. Uses the appropriate software technology to calculate or manually calculates amount of nutrition products to be added to human milk, or amount of product to prepare infant, enteral or metabolic formula required to achieve Nutrition Order. Verifies accuracy utilizing mathematical calculations as required.
- Cleans and sanitizes work area daily according to established procedures to ensure that aseptic conditions are maintained, including the preparation space and equipment required for the labelling, handling, preparation and storage of human milk. Performs additional cleaning tasks as per schedule and following standardized procedures and protocols to maintain an aseptic environment.
Education, Training and Experience
- Grade 12, completion of a recognized two (2) year Food Service Supervisor Program plus one year’s recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize work
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those short-listed will be contacted.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at: www.bcwomens.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities