BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) cares for the province's most acutely ill or injured children and youth, provides developmental and rehabilitation services to children and youth throughout BC, and offers a broad range of health services. Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC), a leading provincial facility offering specialized services to children and youth with developmental disabilities from birth to age 19, works collaboratively with BCCH. SHHC focuses on the child and their family while supporting health care professionals in their community. BCCH also operates a wide number of specialized health programs, is a leading acute care teaching facility, and conducts research to advance health and care through the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute and in partnership with the University of British Columbia..
BCCH is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: • Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
$32.39 to $40.40 per hour
4480 Oak Street
Working under the authority of the Chief of the Department of Pediatric Anaesthesia and the direction of the Clinical Resource Nurse, Operating Room, the Anaesthesia Assistant performs clinical and technical duties related to anaesthesia assistance such as testing, preparing and maintaining anaesthesia equipment and supplies, and assisting anaesthesiologists with induction, maintenance and recovery phases of anaesthesia as per established standards, policies and procedures.
Example of Duties/Accountabilities
- Sets up, tests, calibrates, operates and monitors equipment for regular use including anesthetic machines, breathing circuits, ventilators, scavenging devices, intubation equipment, fiberoptic bronchoscopes, monitoring equipment, infusion devices and blood gas machines. Assists the anesthesiologist with the trial use and evaluation of new equipment.
Prepares patients for surgery and performs pre-operative assessments as requested by the anesthesiologist.
Inserts or assists with the insertion of devices such as nasogastric tubes, esophageal stethoscopes, IV’s, intra-arterial lines, PIC lines, Swan Ganz catheters and Central Venous catheters.
Assists with or performs airway management, including insertion of laryngeal mask airways, intubations, difficult intubations and mask ventilation.
Assists in the positioning of patients under the direction of the anesthesiologist.
Education, Training and Experience
- Graduate from a recognized school of Respiratory Therapy, plus two years recent Operating Room or Critical Care experience.
- Completion of an accredited post-graduate diploma in Anesthesia Technology.
- Membership in the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT), and the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT).
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with all team members.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Critical thinking skills.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at: www.bcchildrens.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.