The BC Cancer Agency is committed to reducing the incidence of cancer, reducing the mortality from cancer, and improving the quality of life of those living with cancer. BC Cancer Agency provides a comprehensive cancer control program for the people of British Columbia in partnership with regional health authorities to deliver a range of cancer services, which include prevention, screening and early detection, diagnosis and treatment, research, education, supportive care, rehabilitation and palliative care. It operates six regional cancer centres in Surrey, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria, Abbotsford and Prince George, along with two research centres that conduct research into the causes and cures for cancer.
BCCA is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
BC Cancer Agency
Casual (0.01 FTE)
Start Date: August 21, 2017
Pay Rate: $24.22/hour
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Medical Secretary provides a variety of senior secretarial, administrative and other support duties for appropriate Medical Staff to ensure the effective operation of Medical Staff office.
1. Performs secretarial and administrative duties for appropriate Medical Staff.
2. Receives screens and prioritizes incoming calls from doctors’ offices and patients, takes messages, relays information including patient data to and from doctors’ offices and referring hospitals.
3. Arranges appropriate action for urgent follow-up appointments, simulator or therapy bookings as indicated by specific physicians and in conjunction with appropriate staff such as Nursing, Radiotherapy Planning or Radiotherapy Treatment.
4. Ensures that requests for relevant supporting investigations from referring hospitals and physicians are forwarded to appropriate Clinic departments for immediate action. Conducts follow-up as required.
5. Prepares physician itineraries on a regular basis and establishes a system whereby physicians can be contacted on urgent matters.
6. Liaises with British Columbia Cancer Agency Library Staff and others as required.
7. Accesses patient information system to retrieve confidential patient data.
8. Ensures that timely follow-up action is taken by Medical Staff in response to telephone messages.
9. Participates in drafting of departmental directives and procedures; liaises with administration regarding modification to and creation of Clinic directives and procedures.
10. Maintains familiarity with Clinic and British Columbia Cancer Agency directives and procedures, particularly those related to patient care; provides information to clinic physician as required.
11. Liaises with other Clinic departments and participates in resolving communication and other workflow issues and concerns.
12. Assists with gathering of reports relating to workload measurement and Quality Assurance.
13. Types urgent annotations in Clinic charts as directed by physician according to Clinic and Agency Health Records policies and procedures.
14. Ensures that requests by Medical Staff for urgently needed reports are acted upon by appropriate Clinic departments.
15. Maintains related filing and record keeping systems.
16. Transcribes reports and papers for publication from handwritten or dictated material utilizing personal computer.
17. Assists physicians in independent clinical research projects using resources within British Columbia Cancer Agency Clinics’ Health Records Departments.
18. Arranges registration for meetings and conferences, books hotel accommodations and makes travel arrangements consistent with Agency policy.
19. Performs other related duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience
• Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription and three years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to keyboard at 60 wpm
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
• Ability to deal with others effectively
• Ability to organize work
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
• Ability to operate related equipment
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://careers.phsa.ca
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.