BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is the only facility in British Columbia devoted primarily to the health of women, newborns and families. It provides a broad range of specialized women’s health services that address the health needs of women of all ages and backgrounds. BC Women’s is one of the largest maternity facilities in Canada, with over 7,000 births a year, and is both the major primary and secondary maternity services provider in the Lower Mainland and the cornerstone of the provincial tertiary care system. As an academic health centre BCW’s mandate includes providing strong leadership in research and the education and professional development of health care professionals in areas related to the health of the populations we serve.
BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) cares for the province's most acutely ill or injured children and youth, provides developmental and rehabilitation services to children and youth throughout BC, and offers a broad range of health services. Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC), a leading provincial facility offering specialized services to children and youth with developmental disabilities from birth to age 19, works collaboratively with BCCH. SHHC focuses on the child and their family while supporting health care professionals in their community. BCCH also operates a wide number of specialized health programs, is a leading acute care teaching facility, and conducts research to advance health and care through the Child and Family Research Institute and in partnership with the University of British Columbia.
BCW and BCCH are agencies of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose
BC Children’s Hospital
Casual (0.01 FTE)
Start Date: July 24, 2017
Pay Rate: $21.26 /hour
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to the Administrative Manager or designate, the Registration/Booking Clerk performs a variety of clerical and patient related activities including scheduling and booking of patient appointments, processing of referrals; performing reception, admitting and patient registration duties; and maintaining databases, records and other patient information. Provides clerical functions such as faxing, photocopying, and types material-utilizing various computerized word processing and spreadsheet software programs. Answers the phone and responds to routine messages or forwards callers to appropriate personnel. Maintains departmental equipment, supplies and filing systems.
1. Utilizing a computerized scheduling system schedules and books patient appointments and follow-up appointments which includes booking complex interdisciplinary appointments, adjusting arrangements in accordance with patient and departmental requirements and notifying both patient and clinician, ensuring that appropriate date, time, and location are provided to patient, and placing appointment reminder calls to patients/families.
2. Receives and registers patients within a computerized scheduling system upon arrival. Ensures patient demographics and appropriate information is complete and accurate and follows up with appropriate parties as necessary. Advises appropriate professional that the patient has arrived.
3. Performs referral functions including duties such as gathering additional/missing information, performing data entry, and receiving and processing related paperwork. Schedules new referrals based on established criteria and works with physicians, clinic nurses and other allied health professionals to appropriately schedule referrals based on clinical indicators.
4. Performs receptionist and other clerical duties including answering telephones, responding to inquiries and requests for information, obtaining patient files as necessary, greeting patients and families, printing daily and/or monthly schedules, and forwarding problems and complex queries to appropriate personnel.
5. Assembles and maintains client charts by utilizing appropriate forms and layout in accordance with established procedures and filing documentation. Telephones physicians’ offices or hospitals to request client information/documentation to ensure accuracy of records and charts.
6. Maintains a variety of records by performing duties such as data entry, collating information, maintaining log sheets and patient statistics on items such as client/patient attendance, treatment types, client/patient or treatment cancellations, and waitlist information. Follows up with appropriate team members as necessary.
7. Types and distributes a variety of material such as correspondence , reports, notices, agendas, notes/minutes of meetings and spreadsheets by utilizing various computerized word processing and spreadsheet software packages, creating files, and editing material for stylistic consistency and grammar as required.
8. Provides clerical support to the department by performing tasks such as booking meetings, following up on action items, filing, routing paperwork, opening and forwarding mail, faxing, photocopying, preparing mailers and information, circulating documentation, and ordering standard office supplies by completing requisition orders for authorization/signature.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
• Grade 12, plus two (2) years’ recent experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to keyboard 45 w.p.m.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to deal with others effectively.
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
We invite you to apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at: www.bcchildrens.ca orwww.bcwomens.ca
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities