Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, the Human Resources Advisor provides HR consulting and strategic partnering to client groups to help them achieve their organizational needs.
At the senior level, the HR Advisor is expected to have the ability to manage a variety of large client groups with minimal support required, and capable of leading medium to large size projects and representing HR within company Integrated Product Teams (IPTs).
The Advisor is responsible for the development, implementation, and administration of various HR functional areas, including but not limited to:
- Day-to-day administration and interpretation of collective agreements and company policies & procedures
- Working with unions on resolving employee issues
- Provide employee relations support to management and employees including conflict resolution and policy and procedure interpretation.
- Working with management to support discipline and performance management
- Provide career development counseling
- Partnering with Senior Management to define and execute on Hi-Potential and Succession plans
- Providing advice and guidance to managers through workforce reduction strategies; and layoff and termination processes (if required)
- Supports general recruitment, develops and implements staffing strategies and practices
- Support Recruiter with advertising strategy & interviewing and selection processes (when required)
- Support preparation and participate in career fairs and university competitions.
- Support internal reassignment and transfers
- Supporting general salary administration including salary increases and promotion/adjustments throughout the year
- Educating business areas on compensation philosophy and salary review process
- Assisting managers in the creation and design of job descriptions.
- Works with the Recruiter to set salary for new hires.
Other / Special Projects
- Development of Business Area specific reports/stats
- Develop and conduct presentations for their support groups and/or internal stakeholders
- Support HR and/or company initiatives through communications with managers and employees
- Mentor and/or coaches more junior HR staff
- Partner and collaborate with other relevant groups to enhance relationship and resolve issues that extend beyond HR function; involved in development of new processes and procedures
Required Skills & Experience
- Progressive experience in a similar HR Advisor/Generalist role with at least 8 years of experience
- Certified Human Resource Professional (CHRP) designation would be considered an asset
- Previous union experience would be considered an asset
- Previous experience working on HR-related projects and the development and implementation of policies and procedures
- Adept at creating reports and providing analysis of trends in data
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to communicate with all levels of management
- Excellent written communication, decision making and customer service skills
- Demonstrated strength in change management – shows motivation and ability to inspire others to embrace change
- Ability to challenge self to think outside the box and open to continuous learning
Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Human Resources or other related field
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position which requires a minimum 5 year consecutive residence in Canada.
General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada is one of Canada's premier defence companies. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries - from NATO to the Pacific Rim. General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada is a company built on the ideas of our employees. We give our people the support and team support necessary to realize their goals. We have a tremendous group of over 1,100 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth.
It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally. As a company reliant on its people, we use an interactive team concept. Participation in various projects and on integrated product teams lets employees acquire new skills, or expand existing ones. Career paths here at General Dynamics Mission System - Canada are always evolving. We encourage and support our employees through training and career development and proven performance enhancement methods. Whenever possible, we promote from within the company. Our managers are not just bosses but mentors who have a vested interest in their employees getting the most relevant training. In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions on our disability accommodation policies.