Reporting to the Manager, Commercial Services, the Commercial Officer is responsible for the administration and support of various commercial functional areas, including: the pre-contractual phase of commercial management, contract negotiations, development, execution and closeout activities.
At the working level, the Commercial Officer is expected to be able to support any type of commercial issue with little support, contribute to company-wide strategies through the development of commercial initiatives; and playing a key role on helping impact key business objectives through Commercial support and development of complex commercial strategies specific to the business.
With little or no direction from the Commercial Services Manager, provides the following support:
- Manages the pre-contractual phase of commercial management, including the completion of NDAs, bailment agreements, collateral agreements including but not limited to TAA's, Teaming Agreements, etc. with minimal or no oversight.
- Manages the proposal process, review presentations and submission deadlines by collecting & compiling necessary commercial data, certifications & representations, disclosures, program schedules, work breakdown structures dictionary, assumptions, understandings & clarifications, etc. with minimal or no oversight.
- Interprets and/or develops business case studies involving multiple scenarios to support such things has DTC (Design to Cost), PTW (Price/Position to Win) and other pricing strategies in addition to bid or no bid decisions with minimal or no oversight.
- Interprets and/or develops the overall commercial volume requirements including all required certifications and formats with minimal or no oversight.
- Manages in validating conformance to GDMS-C & GD C4S policy & procedures as well as all legal & regulatory requirements, and all disclosure requirements, and submits final proposal commercial volume for management review with minimal or no oversight.
Negotiations & Execution
- Interprets and/or develops the analysis for fact finding, contract negotiations/changes/closeout with minimal or no oversight.
- Interprets and/or develops the negotiation process, determining negotiation strategy, financial & legal data to support, creating 'negotiation parameters', issue tracking, and summarizing final positions with minimal or no oversight and is the company spokesperson.
- Interprets and/or develops artifacts that facilitate the loading of Oracle, meet the internal and external audit requirements, all DOA (Delegation of Authority) requirements, Company Standard Procedures, metrics & CRM requirements with minimal or no oversight.
- Interprets and/or develops commercial summaries of program status using contract files, company, vendor, and/or customer correspondence, contract & amendment files, accounts receivable status, etc. with no oversight.
- Interfaces with GDMS-C Estimating, Finance, Engineering, Program Management, Customers, Executive GDMS-C management, Executive GD C4S management, including commercial primes and GD primes & external auditors.
- Development of Business Area specific reports/stats
- Develop and conduct presentations up to the VP level and/or customers/external stakeholders
- Review, development, and roll out of policies and procedures across the company
- Input to Commercial Services Systems personnel on new tools and reports; may be required to participate the implementation and roll out of new tools as a contributor of as a Lead
- Point of contact and/or delegate for when Commercial Manager is away
- Manage complex Commercial and company-wide projects as assigned from initiation through a planned management of change and sustainability.
Required Skills & Experience
- Progressive experience in a similar Commercial Services/Contracts role with at least 5 years of experience
- Previous experience leading different project initiatives either within Commercial Services/Contracts Management and/or the supporting company
- Strong interpersonal and team effectiveness skills and the ability to coach and mentor others; increased focus on working with and improving the overall success of other groups and the company in general.
- Ability to adapt quickly to a rapidly changing environment
- Strong analytical and research abilities, is organized and self-starting, having the ability to work with little direction.
- Excellent business acumen skills to provide superior customer services to client groups and ability to support outside the box thinking to support the overall business needs
- Excellent written and oral communications; comfortable with conducting presentations, having difficult conversations; mentoring and coaching capability.
- Positive attitudes and strong work ethic
- Hands on experience with different MS office applications, CRM, Oracle and other related tools
- Results oriented with a demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities with solid time management/organization skills, knowing when to ask for help and ability to delegate to others
- Provides leadership in addressing complex commercial, business and organizational issues which may involve providing mentorship to other commercial members and working with different stakeholders across the company
- Post-secondary degree in Business Commerce, Law or other related field
- Certified Procurement or Contracting designation (PMAC, NCMA, CCCM) would be considered an asset
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada is one of Canada's premier defence companies. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries - from NATO to the Pacific Rim. General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada is a company built on the ideas of our employees. We give our people the support and team support necessary to realize their goals. We have a tremendous group of over 1,100 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth.
It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally. As a company reliant on its people, we use an interactive team concept. Participation in various projects and on integrated product teams lets employees acquire new skills, or expand existing ones. Career paths here at General Dynamics Mission System - Canada are always evolving. We encourage and support our employees through training and career development and proven performance enhancement methods. Whenever possible, we promote from within the company. Our managers are not just bosses but mentors who have a vested interest in their employees getting the most relevant training. In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions on our disability accommodation policies.