A Working Engineer is an Engineer with five or more years of relevant work experience. The selected candidate will work within a small development team of 5-10 developers, and take direction from the Software Development lead.
The successful candidate will be working on software intended for use on military land combat vehicles. This will include development and test in both a lab environment and where applicable within the vehicles. The team is responsible for software ranging from user interfaces to device level adapters, and the successful candidate will be expected to work on all levels.
- Review and provide feedback and input on product or system level designs.
- Create detailed software designs of various scope and complexity based on provided product and system level designs.
- Develop new and improve existing Software, Unit Tests, Test Tools, and Simulators.
- Documents own analysis, designs, and tests (e.g. Software Design Documents, UML models, Software Test Descriptions, etc.).
- Diagnose, perform root cause analysis, and fix issues.
- Participates in scrums, release planning, and estimating activities.
- Performs developmental configuration management activities.
- Integrates efforts with other team members’ efforts.
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Proficiency in one or more modern object oriented programming languages; knowledge of C# is desirable.
- Experience in writing Unit Tests.
- Experience with UML and object oriented design tools.
- Strong communication abilities, both written and verbal.
- Strong attention to detail.
Proficiency in one or more of the following areas is also required.
- Experience developing Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) with any of the following experience:
- Windows Presentation Framework (WPF)
- Familiarity with Model/View/View-Model (MVVM) pattern
- Microsoft Prism architecture
- UI design with a User Experience (UX) focus
- Experience with Automation Frameworks or Automation testing methods.
- Experience with software defect tracking and version control.
- Experience working with XML and XSDs.
- Experience with Pub/Sub messaging patterns.
- Familiarity with Windows software build and installation concepts.
- Experience working in an Agile environment, or an understanding of Agile methodologies.
- Fluency in French for Bilingual User Interfaces.
Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering; Computer Science; or a related technical/engineering degree.
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada is one of Canada's premier defence companies. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries - from NATO to the Pacific Rim. General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada is a company built on the ideas of our employees. We give our people the support and team support necessary to realize their goals. We have a tremendous group of over 1,100 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth.
It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally. As a company reliant on its people, we use an interactive team concept. Participation in various projects and on integrated product teams lets employees acquire new skills, or expand existing ones. Career paths here at General Dynamics Mission System - Canada are always evolving. We encourage and support our employees through training and career development and proven performance enhancement methods. Whenever possible, we promote from within the company. Our managers are not just bosses but mentors who have a vested interest in their employees getting the most relevant training. In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions on our disability accommodation policies.