General Dynamics Canada currently has a requirement for a Test Engineering Lead within our Operations Engineering Department. Operations Engineering is responsible for the design and implementation of manufacturing processes for the production, integration, testing and acceptance of military and harsh service equipment for customers around the world. General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada utilizes the latest in manufacturing practices and theories including Design for Testability, Design for 6 Sigma Manufacturability, Statistical Process Control and Design of Experiments to accomplish this responsibility.
While reporting to the Operations Engineering Manager, the incumbent assuming this lead role shall assemble a team of engineering (Test, Hardware & Software) professionals and provide leadership and direction in defining, developing, deploying and supporting industry leading Automated Test Equipment
The Test Engineering Lead shall be responsible for the planning, development, and implementation of procedures for the testing and evaluation of production and engineering devices in accordance with applicable product specifications and industry and/or governmental standards. This position shall lead the team that specifies tests to be performed, develops automated processes and tools, compiles data and makes recommendations for changes required in testing equipment, procedures, manufacturing processes, and product designs.
- Responsible for day to day leadership and organizational development of Test Engineers and Technologists in order to attain program and business objectives;
- Build and maintaining a team of highly skilled and motivated test engineering professionals.
- Responsible for Test Engineering team/individual performance leadership through conducting quarterly reviews focused on clear role definition, objective setting, career development, mentoring and training.
- Set departmental goals, establishes priorities, monitor and evaluates results.
- Sets standards of excellence and provides appropriate metrics-based feedback mechanism to ensure continuous improvement.
- Within the context of the Operations Engineering mandate, actively engage the Test Engineering team in the development of a mid/long-term test engineering strategy.
- Participates with Manufacturing Operations and Operations Engineering managers to develop strategic plans and goals.
- Develop process improvement plans including enhancements to the automated testing environment and capabilities.
- Interact, plan and communicate with the Design Engineering teams to define and develop optimal component, sub-assembly and unit level test plans and test regimes.
- Assist Engineering and Project teams on new product concepts and development.
- Initiate interaction and alignment with the Production and Engineering organizations in order to achieve continuous improvement of product and process capabilities.
- Define project schedule in cooperation with Project Management and work to the project plan.
- Developing the operating budget for the Test Engineering team and monitoring to the approved budget.
- Leads the process to evaluate, recommend and the purchase of test equipment.
- Lead the support, maintenance and calibration of existing production test equipment to ensure that all on-going internal and external customer needs are met.
Required Skills & Experience
- Advanced degree plus 10 or more years’ experience in a Test Engineering environment, including process development experience.
- Engineering lead experience including the ability to build and lead teams of Test Engineers.
- Demonstrated leadership, planning, organizing, problem solving, customer - focus and teamwork skills.
- Detailed knowledge of automatic test equipment (ATE) hardware and software, and the appropriate application.
- Knowledge and experience of Defense Industry Standards and requirements.
- Proven ability to exercise a high degree of judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interface with management and customers on the progress of projects, and write necessary documentation and correspondence.
- Able to conduct effective meetings and lead groups through collaboration.
- Experience in dealing with various Engineering and Test Engineering disciplines (hardware and software).
- Experience in coordinating efforts with Project Management, Engineering, Operations, and other internal departments.
BS in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field required.
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada is one of Canada's premier defence companies. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries - from NATO to the Pacific Rim. General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada is a company built on the ideas of our employees. We give our people the support and team support necessary to realize their goals. We have a tremendous group of over 1,100 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth.
It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally. As a company reliant on its people, we use an interactive team concept. Participation in various projects and on integrated product teams lets employees acquire new skills, or expand existing ones. Career paths here at General Dynamics Mission System - Canada are always evolving. We encourage and support our employees through training and career development and proven performance enhancement methods. Whenever possible, we promote from within the company. Our managers are not just bosses but mentors who have a vested interest in their employees getting the most relevant training. In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions on our disability accommodation policies.