The Senior Program Manager has overall accountability, ownership and vision for the successful execution of a program, or multiple programs and projects. The successful candidate should have a proven ability to create high powered, multi-discipline teams including but not limited to Supply Chain Management, Human Resources, Engineering, Finance and Commercial Services.
They should be an agile leader in our organization that is able to create an environment that empowers the team to translate vision into outstanding results. The ideal candidate brings with them a blend of experience dealing with large engineering programs within the Public Safety Industry.
Responsibilities Include Program Management:
- Responsible for creating and maintaining the overall vision and execution strategy and project plan for each of the projects in the PSSS Business Area
- Responsible for dealing with financial issues such as financial analysis, negotiating contract value upwards, measuring and evaluating cost/schedule/profit performance;
- Responsible for the conduct of Internal Program Reviews with GD Canada Senior Management.
- Responsible for ensuring that Project Managers execute project in accordance with the approved Project Plan.
- Responsible for ensuring that Project Engineers deliver the SHIELD Solutions in accordance with approved project requirements.
- Responsible to establish facilities and infrastructure required to support program implementation.
- Responsible for leading Fact Finding and Negotiations activities with the Customer and with Subcontractors.
- Responsible for the overall Operations Budget for the PSSS Business Area.
- Responsible for review and reporting key metrics to monitor performance of each Project.
- Responsible for the ensuring that Perform Risk/Growth Plans are developed and executed for each project.
- Responsible for the effectiveness and efficiency of the Operations Group
- Responsible for the personnel management of the assigned Project Managers and Project Engineers
- Responsible for liaising with various disciplines in the GDMS organization for specialized functional resources to carryout PSSS Projects
- Responsible for Staffing the Operations Group to support Program, Business Pursuit and R&D activities
Consistent with the Leadership Framework, demonstrates the following leadership skills and behaviours:
- Accountability for group performance: motivates team to be innovative and accountable;
- Change management: champions new ideas and calculated risk-taking; communicates vision
- Coaching and mentor staff: develops individual and team capabilities; offers constructive feedback and recognition
- Team building: builds team commitment to achieve goals; assigns responsibilities within the team
- Problem solving: facilitates problem-solving; resolves conflicts
- Communication Skills: advanced written and verbal communication skills; excellent presentation skills
- Delivery: addresses issues in a timely fashion with adherence to deadlines
- Business Planning: translates business strategies into concrete actions
- Judgment: applies experience in making decisions and judgements
- Personnel management: conducts performance appraisals; compensation reviews; training and development; performance management; succession planning
- Financial management: good understanding of financial systems and financial implications of decisions
- Resource management: resource forecasting; determine annual operating budget; manage within budget
- Multitasking: ability to manage multiple projects and proposals in parallel
- Self-Development: awareness of self and team strengths and weaknesses and continuous efforts for improvement within business and operational constraints
- Multi-Locations: Ability to manage teams and projects in multiple sites
Travel: Ability to travel 1-2 weeks per month
Education & Experience
- 10+ years as a Program Manager on complex systems integration programs +$50M projects;
- 3 years’ experience working on international programs (outside North America);
- 5 years’ experience managing technical and project management staf
- Experience in preparing proposals and supporting Business Development activities
- 5 years’ experience in the Public Safety Industry
- PMI (Project Management) certification desirable
- Experience working in LATAM or Middle East desirable
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience
- 8 to 10 years of staff and/or technical project/process management experience
General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada is one of Canada's premier defence companies. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries - from NATO to the Pacific Rim. General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada is a company built on the ideas of our employees. We give our people the support and team support necessary to realize their goals. We have a tremendous group of over 1,100 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth.
It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally. As a company reliant on its people, we use an interactive team concept. Participation in various projects and on integrated product teams lets employees acquire new skills, or expand existing ones. Career paths here at General Dynamics Mission System - Canada are always evolving. We encourage and support our employees through training and career development and proven performance enhancement methods. Whenever possible, we promote from within the company. Our managers are not just bosses but mentors who have a vested interest in their employees getting the most relevant training. In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions on our disability accommodation policies.