General Dynamics is staffing for an exciting opportunity to deliver a world class secure next-generation communications system for the Ministry of Defence (MoD) in the United Kingdom. GDMS-C is working in partnership with General Dynamics Mission Systems - United Kingdom to design, develop, and deliver an exceptional Command, Control, Communications, Computing and Intelligence (C4I) system based on open architecture and industry standard principles.
GDMS-C Calgary is developing a key software product as part of this offering that provides the operating system and middleware to enable tactical voice and data communications, sensor and device integration, and common application services. Software will be developed for Windows 10 laptops and tablets and for General Dynamics developed hardware products running Linux.
The project includes all phases including System Design, Software and Hardware Design, System Integration, and System Validation. The project will be a multi-site development with activities spanning several product development groups in Calgary and across the General Dynamics Mission Systems International business area.
The software product team will consist of several software development teams, each focusing on a specific set of software components and services in the areas of communication, device integration, and common services for multiple third-party software applications. Software development teams will follow the Scrum framework for software development. As a member of a Scrum team, the successful candidates will design, implement, and test software features for the product.
- Participate in Scrum events, including Sprint Planning, Daily Scrum, Sprint Review, and Sprint Retrospective.
- Continually refine Sprint backlog into smaller tasks.
- Work cooperatively with the development team to take on new tasks.
- Perform detailed design, implementation, and unit testing activities in order to complete Sprint tasks.
- Ensure completed tasks meet the Definition of Done and the Acceptance Criteria.
- Share knowledge and skills with other development team members.
- Participate in the refinement of the Product Backlog.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE - REQUIRED
- Experience with higher level programming languages such as C++, C#, and Java.
- Experience with developing software in a Linux operating system (kernel 3.X).
- Experience with developing software in a Windows operating system (Windows 7, 8, 10).
- Experience with UML and modelling techniques.
- Experience with unit testing and test driven development.
- Disciplined approach to software engineering with knowledge of agile development methods.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE - NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with Service-oriented architecture including Web Services, WebSockets, and RESTful APIs.
- Experience with cross-platform development.
- Experience with pub/sub and request/response messaging patterns.
- Experience with XML
- Experience with network device management technologies such as SNMP and NETCONF.
- Experience with multimedia technologies such as SIP, RTP, and RTCP.
- Experience with 3GPP IMS standard.
- Experience with transport layer technologies such as TCP/IP and UDP.
- Experience with networking technologies such as IPv4, IPv6, VLANs, 802.3, Routing Protocols (OSPF, IS-IS, BGP4), 802.1x, DSCP, and DHCP.
- Experience with directory services technologies (e.g., LDAP, X.500).
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent discipline is required.
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada is one of Canada's premier defence companies. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries - from NATO to the Pacific Rim. General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada is a company built on the ideas of our employees. We give our people the support and team support necessary to realize their goals. We have a tremendous group of over 1,100 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth.
It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally. As a company reliant on its people, we use an interactive team concept. Participation in various projects and on integrated product teams lets employees acquire new skills, or expand existing ones. Career paths here at General Dynamics Mission System - Canada are always evolving. We encourage and support our employees through training and career development and proven performance enhancement methods. Whenever possible, we promote from within the company. Our managers are not just bosses but mentors who have a vested interest in their employees getting the most relevant training. In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions on our disability accommodation policies.