General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada currently has a requirement for an Intermediate/Working Systems Engineer within our Airborne Systems Business Area. The incumbent will be part of the team developing the Aurora Block IV upgrade.
The System Engineer will interpret system requirements into technical network solutions. Liaise with security and system design teams to ensure system requirements are implemented. Designs, analyzes, plans and implements technical network solutions of complex configurations which includes considerations for data storage, virtualization, networks and operating systems, security as well as support processes.
The responsibilities and range of activities will vary, but in general will include:
- Perform design, analysis and/or test functions under the mentorship of more senior engineers
- Document his/her analyses, designs and tests (e.g., architecture diagrams, UML diagrams, tech notes, design documents, test plans and test reports) in the format prescribed by standard templates
- Work closely with the various engineering functions throughout the development cycle for the purposes of component selection, design capture and analysis
- Write formal test cases and execute them to collect formal test results
- Prepare written test reports for submission to the end customer
- Investigate system problem reports and field incident reports; perform root cause and trend analyses
- Provide technical support during higher level integration and qualification testing
- Make presentations of his/her work at design reviews or other types of peer reviews
- Derives captures, analyzes and translates complex requirements / directions into supporting and enabling information technology architecture, to meet both tactical short term and strategic long term objectives.
- As an Infrastructure Network Analyst;
- Assist, guide and share expertise with other team members to resolve complex problems and develop complex infrastructure solutions ;
- Generates and presents ideas for improvements to management teams and other team members.
- Researches, evaluates, designs, tests, recommends and plans the implementation of new or updated information technologies in his own and/or new field of expertise
- Develops and validates standard baseline configurations for network devices, applications
- Develops and maintain network infrastructure and architecture documentation and associated procedures
- Contributes to the design, implementation and maintenance of the disaster recovery plan for IT related applications and systems
- Reports on a predefined basis on all program related activity and progress.
- Ensures compliance to Security policies for network system change requests.
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum 8 years of experience preferably in Information Technology
- Strong technical knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- Voice/Video Over IP
- Routing protocols
- Expert knowledge of standard and emerging layer 2 technologies such as STP, S, VPNs, Ethernet,
- Cisco Architecture and Hardware
- Virtual Routing
- Firewall Administration and Implementation
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of information risk concepts and principles
- Strong analytical skills, to analyze business program requirements and relate them to appropriate IT infrastructure components and processes
- WAN Acceleration knowledge and skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide variety network solutions, standards and protocols
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering or applicable scientific discipline is required.
Candidates must be eligible to obtain a SECRET Security Clearance
Certifications in field of expertise is an asset, such as Cisco CCNA, CompTIA Network+, MCSE etc
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada is one of Canada's premier defence companies. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries - from NATO to the Pacific Rim. General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada is a company built on the ideas of our employees. We give our people the support and team support necessary to realize their goals. We have a tremendous group of over 1,100 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth.
It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally. As a company reliant on its people, we use an interactive team concept. Participation in various projects and on integrated product teams lets employees acquire new skills, or expand existing ones. Career paths here at General Dynamics Mission System - Canada are always evolving. We encourage and support our employees through training and career development and proven performance enhancement methods. Whenever possible, we promote from within the company. Our managers are not just bosses but mentors who have a vested interest in their employees getting the most relevant training. In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions on our disability accommodation policies.