GDMS-C’s User Experience (UX) team delivers user-centered designs across all hardware and software deliverables, from the simplest devices to the most complex systems. We take an interdisciplinary and iterative approach to development, focused on understanding and meeting human needs. We actively do this through collaboration, frequent prototyping and user engagement.
We are currently looking for a Manager to join the UX team and lead the daily activities of the Safety and Reliability discipline. The successful candidate will manage a highly skilled team of professionals with various backgrounds in system safety, reliability, maintainability, testability, and logistics. They will be an established manager capable of building relationships across all levels of the organization and leading a team that adds value to every step of the design and development process.
- In depth knowledge of Military and Aviation Safety industries, trends, and methodologies
- Business knowledge within the domain gained through experience with Military or commercial industry
- Knowledge of theories, principles and practices for human resource management
- Ability to lead and influence change while applying management best practices
- Ability to effectively manage and deliver a program in a complex and continuously changing business and technology environment
- Leadership in program planning, proposal generation, and estimating.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage a multi-disciplinary team with a participative management style
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, to work cooperatively and effectively with a broad range of colleagues, clients, and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize information, assess risks and opportunities, and make recommendations on potential courses of action
- Safety programs aligning to MIL-STD-882 / SAW ARP-4754 / Def Stan 00-56
- Experience with product certification (CSA, UL, CE)
- Reliability, Maintainability, and Testability programs aligning to MIL-STD-756 or equivalent
- Developing program plans
- Understanding system level requirements and derivation/traceability through sub-systems
- Understanding of how and why safety, hazardous material, and environmental impact analyses are conducted
- Understanding of how and why reliability predictions, FMECA, and fault tree analyses are conducted
Required Skills & Experience
5-8 years of staff and/or technical project management expertise
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical / Hardware Engineering, or related field. Advanced degrees will be considered an asset.
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada is one of Canada's premier defence companies. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries - from NATO to the Pacific Rim. General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada is a company built on the ideas of our employees. We give our people the support and team support necessary to realize their goals. We have a tremendous group of over 1,100 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth.
It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally. As a company reliant on its people, we use an interactive team concept. Participation in various projects and on integrated product teams lets employees acquire new skills, or expand existing ones. Career paths here at General Dynamics Mission System - Canada are always evolving. We encourage and support our employees through training and career development and proven performance enhancement methods. Whenever possible, we promote from within the company. Our managers are not just bosses but mentors who have a vested interest in their employees getting the most relevant training. In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions on our disability accommodation policies.