GDMS-C’s User Experience (UX) team delivers user-centered designs across all hardware and software deliverables, from the simplest devices to the most complex systems. We take an interdisciplinary and iterative approach to development, focused on understanding and meeting human needs. We actively do this through collaboration, frequent prototyping and user engagement.
We currently need a talented User Experience / Human Factors Specialist to join our UX team, working alongside other human factors engineers, industrial and visual designers to create great product designs.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrable expertise in several of the following topics:
Human Computer Interface (HCI)
- Software Product Design
User Centered Design (UCD)
- User centered design process
- User needs definition
- Observational techniques
- User trials/field trials
- Usability Testing
Human Factors Integration/Human System Integration
- Operational Scenario Development
- User analysis (TAD, personas)
- Function analysis
- Task analysis
- Documenting OMI
Project Management & Execution
- Project/program experience
- Managing subcontractors
- Writing SOWs and Specifications for projects and products
- Customer communications
- Leading integrated teams, working groups, design groups
- Requirements development, derivation, management
- Risk management
- Verification and Validation
The ideal candidate will also have experience in one or more of the following fields:
- Hardware Design
- Vehicle/Platform Design
- Human modeling and simulation
- Cognitive ergonomics
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountable to projects and team members for on time delivery of work
- Leading and task management of a team
- Work on complex problems with changing scope and multiple stakeholders
- Innovates within the bounds of established practices and procedures
- Identifies areas of improvement in product, process or program
- Mentors other team members
- Able to make decisions, take action, and work autonomously
- Ensures peer review of work products
- Controls costs associated with team and own work
- Fosters interdisciplinary teamwork
- Openly communicates and shares information
- Actively seeks self-improvement through feedback and learning
- Establishes strong internal and external relationships
Travel for this position may be required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors degree or higher in Human Factors Engineering, Industrial Design, Kinesiology, Computer Science, Systems Design, Ergonomics, Psychology or related discipline with course work in human factors engineering/ergonomics/human computer interaction.
- 4-5 years of related experience
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada is one of Canada's premier defence companies. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries - from NATO to the Pacific Rim. General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada is a company built on the ideas of our employees. We give our people the support and team support necessary to realize their goals. We have a tremendous group of over 1,100 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth.
It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally. As a company reliant on its people, we use an interactive team concept. Participation in various projects and on integrated product teams lets employees acquire new skills, or expand existing ones. Career paths here at General Dynamics Mission System - Canada are always evolving. We encourage and support our employees through training and career development and proven performance enhancement methods. Whenever possible, we promote from within the company. Our managers are not just bosses but mentors who have a vested interest in their employees getting the most relevant training. In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions on our disability accommodation policies.