GDMS-C’s User Experience (UX) team delivers user-centered designs across all hardware and software deliverables, from the simplest devices to the most complex systems. We take an interdisciplinary and iterative approach to development, focused on understanding and meeting human needs. We actively do this through collaboration, frequent prototyping and user engagement.
We currently need a talented junior User Experience / Human Factors Specialist to join our UX team, working alongside other human factors engineers, industrial and visual designers to create great product designs for the user.
The expected duties will include:
- Review product and system specifications for HFE content and define requirements.
- Apply HFE / GUI standards, processes and contractual requirements to the product and system design.
- Prototyping and implementation of GUI designs.
- Conducting, facilitating and document user focus group discussions.
- Reviewing and writing use cases.
- Defining user requirements, and product function requirements.
- Perform usability evaluations.
- Present HFE requirements, designs and lead design review meetings
Required Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate will have knowledge/skills in one or many of the following topics:
- Human Computer Interface (HCI)
- Software Product Design
- Usability Testing
- User Centered Design (UCD)
- User centered design process
- User needs definition
- Observational techniques
- User trials/field trials
- Human Factors Integration/Human System Integration
- Operational Scenario Development
- User analysis (TAD, personas)
- Function analysis
- Task analysis
- Documenting OMI
The ideal candidate may have experience in one or more of the following fields:
- Hardware Design
- Vehicle/Platform Design
- Human modeling and simulation
- Cognitive ergonomics
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountable to projects and team members for on time delivery of work
- Follows established practices and procedures
- Works under supervision
- Applies own judgement and discretion but ensures peer review
- Organizes own time to deliver against tasks
- Understands costs associated with their work
- Asks questions, checks for understanding, provides explanation clearly and precisely
- Establishes co-operative relationships
Some travel for this position is required
Bachelors degree or higher in Human Factors Engineering, Industrial Design, Kinesiology, Computer Science, Systems Design, Ergonomics, Psychology or related discipline with course work in human factors engineering/ergonomics/human computer interaction.
Minimum 10 year consecutive residence in Canada – for Canadian Secret Security Clearance
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position.
General Dynamics Mission Systems - Canada is one of Canada's premier defence companies. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries - from NATO to the Pacific Rim. General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada is a company built on the ideas of our employees. We give our people the support and team support necessary to realize their goals. We have a tremendous group of over 1,100 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth.
It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally. As a company reliant on its people, we use an interactive team concept. Participation in various projects and on integrated product teams lets employees acquire new skills, or expand existing ones. Career paths here at General Dynamics Mission System - Canada are always evolving. We encourage and support our employees through training and career development and proven performance enhancement methods. Whenever possible, we promote from within the company. Our managers are not just bosses but mentors who have a vested interest in their employees getting the most relevant training. In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
General Dynamics Mission Systems – Canada is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Workplace accommodations are available. Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions on our disability accommodation policies.