The main function of the midwife is to be the primary care provider to women during the childbearing year within a multidisciplinary team. All midwifery services provided are delivered in accordance with the Midwifery Model of Practice and the Standards of the College of Midwives of Manitoba.
Throughout all main functions, the WRHA midwife maintains communication and positive working relationships with community and hospital staff, public health and emergency medical services. She/he works cooperatively within a practice group of midwives to provide equitable on-call coverage. The midwife involves her/himself in professional activities to enhance competency and midwifery services.
- Graduate of an educational program approved by the College of Midwives of Manitoba.
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and neonatal resuscitation certification (NRP) with intubation required.
- Recent midwifery practice experience must meet the College of Midwives of Manitoba’s Standards for Currency of Practice Required for Initial/Maintaining Registration as a Practicing Midwife.
- Conditional registration (registration with supervision requirements) designated by the College of Midwives of Manitoba is acceptable.
- Ability to function as a member of an interdisciplinary team is required.
- Experience working with multicultural and disadvantaged populations is preferred.
- Each midwife must be eligible for liability insurance coverage purchased by the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA).
- Owns or has access to a dependable vehicle that is available for use at all times.
- Flexible hours scheduled according to client needs and service location. In keeping with the Midwifery Model of Practice, this includes on site clinical services, provision of healthcare in clients’ home as appropriate, hospital contact, and on-call coverage. Primary clinic sites will be assigned by the WRHA. The midwife will be expected to collaborate and work closely with other professionals and function as a member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team.
- Must be physically capable of performing duties related to the position under varying weather and environmental conditions. This position requires significant lifting and carrying of a variety of clinical and birth equipment as well as the ability to climb stairs with this equipment (i.e. in buildings without elevators).
- Current Active Practicing Registration with the College of Midwives of Manitoba.
- Possession of a valid Manitoba Class 5 driver’s license.
- Use of a Personal Motor Vehicle
- Subject to Immunization and Tuberculin Testing as per WRHA policy.
This position is subject to a Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector Serch, an Adult Abuse Registry Check, and a Child Abuse Registry Check. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment and/or to provide evidence of educational achievements.
Any application/resume received after the deadline closing date will be marked late and not included in the competition.