At General Dynamics Canada, innovation happens on a daily basis. We develop and deliver leading edge technology, products and systems that make important contributions to our customer’s success. The challenges and opportunities are endless. The results – incredible!
Our employees are exceptional! General Dynamics Canada is proud to employ over 1400 talented individuals across Canada. Working in a collaborative environment, our employees are encouraged daily to contribute their technical knowledge and expertise. Our people are passionate, dedicated, and conscientious about the work they do which results in our ability to deliver the highest value, customized solutions in order to meet the most demanding requirements.
General Dynamics Canada is Canada’s premiere defense company. We have achieved a worldwide reputation for excellence in the production of leading-edge, highly-complex, technology-based, integrated solutions for land, airborne and maritime applications.
This position is contingent on contract award. GD Canada is anticipating the future award of a new contract with GDLS-Canada for a new Light Armored Vehicle (LAV) Command, Control, Communication and Computer (C4) System. The C4 System Project will be performed to satisfy the requirement of GDLS-C for a new fleet of LAVs for use by an International Customer. GD Canada will design, integrate, manufacture, deliver and support the C4 System for installation by GDLS-C in London, Ontario. The LAV C4 System Project will integrate proven GDC4S and GD Canada products along with customer supplied Intercom, Router, Sensors and Radio to form a modern tactical vehicle C4I solution.
The project includes all phases including System Design, Software and Hardware Design, System Integration and System Validation. Following the Engineering Phase, the project will lead into production and through life support services. The Project will be a multi-site development in Ottawa and Calgary with activities spanning several product development groups across the Land and Joint Solutions business area.
The Land and Joint Solutions Software Product Development (SPD) group will be developing the Platform Services component of the C4 System that will provide the following:
• Vehicle Device Access Services
• Tactical Network Time Service
• Alarm and Alert Service
Working within the Software Product Development (SPD) group and under the direction of the Software Engineering Lead, the Junior Software Engineer for Platform Services will be responsible for the implementation and test of these services.
• Create or update the SW implementation of each platform service based on the detailed SW design.
• Create or update platform service unit tests/scripts and applicable stubbed services and/or test clients.
• Provide necessary support to System Engineering and System Integration.
• Correction of identified software defects.
• All other duties as directed by the Software Engineering Lead.
• Experience in a software design and development role.
• Familiarity with common software development processes and tools, including:
• UML Modeling using Enterprise Architect or other tools
• Configuration Management using CVS or other tools
• Automated software unit testing and continuous integration
• Software defect tracking using Bugzilla or other tools
• Experience in communications systems development with the following technologies would be desirable but not mandatory:
• Serial, Ethernet, and CANBus interfaces
• Communicating with navigation systems, GPS, and other sensors
• Time Synchronization using Network Time Protocol (NTP)
• Object Management Group (OMG) Data Distribution Service (DDS)
• MIL-STD-6017 Variable Message Format and MIL-STD-2045-47001C (Connectionless Data Transfer)
• Working knowledge of C++ and C# programming languages.
• Familiarity with Windows software build and installation concepts.
• Strong communication abilities, both written and verbal.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary cross site team.
Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering/Computer Science or related technical/engineering degree.
Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position which requires a minimum 5 year consecutive residence in Canada.